Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Bleeding

 
"Stop bleeding    said the knife
I would if I    could said the cut.
Stop bleeding    you make me messy with the blood.
I'm sorry    said the cut.
Stop or    I will sink in farther said the knife.
Don't    said the cut.
The    knife did not say it couldn't help it but
it    sank in farther.
If    only you didn't bleed said the knife I wouldn't
have    to do this.
I know    said the cut I bleed too easily I hate 
 
 
that I    can't help it I wish I were a knife like   
you and    didn't have to bleed.
Well    meanwhile stop bleeding will you said the knife.
Yes you    are a mess and sinking in deeper said the cut I   
will have    to stop.
Have you    stopped by now said the knife.
I've almost    stopped I think.
Why must you    bleed in the first place said the knife.
For the same    reason maybe that you must do what you   
must do said    the cut.
I can't stand    bleeding said the knife and sank in farther.
I hate it too said    the cut I know it isn't you it's   
me you're lucky to be    a knife you ought to be glad about that.
Too many cuts around    said the knife they're
messy I don't know how    they stand themselves.
They don't said the cut.
You're bleeding again. 
 
 

 

No I've stopped said the cut    see you are coming out now the
blood is drying it will rub    off you'll be shiny again and clean.
If only cuts wouldn't bleed    so much said the knife coming
out a little.
But then knives might become    dull said the cut.
Aren't you still bleeding a    little said the knife.
I hope not said the cut.
I feel you are just a little. 
Maybe just a little but I can    stop now.
I feel a little wetness still    said the knife sinking in a   
little but then coming out a    little.
Just a little maybe just enough    said the cut.
That's enough now stop now do    you    feel better now said the knife.
I feel I have to bleed to   feel I   think said the cut.
I don't I don't have to    feel said    the knife drying now
becoming shiny."
 
 by May Swenson
 
 

 


 All photography by Francesca Woodman.

 
 
 

2 comments:

M.Ac said...

Wooow, what a nice and funny poem. The knife and the cut. With or without you.. :)

Thank youuu :)

Vesna said...

Truly briliant Diane, I'll go find more of May's poetry, it is wonderful...
hugs gorgeous lady